Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Colorado Rockies and Durangoe/Silverton Railroad

It was with trepidation that I faced the train ride in the brisk morning air of 40 degrees in an open car. Operative words here are "narrow gorge" railway. It turned out to be a delight and totally unique experience. Although very high and very narrow, the aspens were glorious and the scenery breathtaking!! The train ride takes 3 1/2 hours, the drive an hour.
We arrived in Silveraton and had lunch in a former brothel. Wasn't too impressed with Silverton -- touristy -- but I did make a great purchase. Three young boys greeted the train in their red flyer wagons. I bought an amythest geode for $3.50. We won't talk about what I bought in Durango.

Thinking the worse was behind me, I settled into the "nest" Betty and I had created in the back seat to traverse the "million dollar highway." There are several reasons it's been given that name. After experiencing sheer drop offs on each side -- think North Rim of the Grand Canyon -- I spent a lot of time NOT looking out the window. One of the reasons for the name that fits me -- you couldn't pay me a million dollars to travel that highway again!!

A highlight of the trip down was a stop in Ouray for ice cream -- I didn't have any -- but it is a beautiful small, picturesque town I'd like to visit again as long as there is a alternate route other than the million dollar highway.

We rolled into the vibrant, bustling town of Moab and went to the microbrewery for dinner. After the day I'd had, I needed a .beer and had an excellent local, raspberry wheat beer.

Tomorrow is an early start -- they've all been early -- none later than 8-- to walk Arches National Park. I can log points on My Wellness Works for EVERY day of this trip. Who knew. After all the sun, think my vitamin D deficiency is cured!

No comments:

Post a Comment