Sunday, September 19, 2010

Bluff, Utah;Four Corners;terrifying Mesa Verde

In addition to the wonderful Desert Rose hotel, we ate at Twin Rocks. When I post the pictures, I'll let you figure out why it's named that. We returned for breakfast as well -- no beer.


It was off to Four Corners. If you don't know why it's called that, look it up. We arrived in the middle of a big dedication ceremony complete with speakers that addressed the crowd in Navajo. We weren't allowed to walk onto the Four Corners -- so much for the practice poses to get feet and hands in all four states.


Little did I know what awaited me at Mesa Verde. We viewed the cliff dwelling from across the valley. Betty and I were less than enthusiastic about going down the very narrow steps to get to the cliff. It was hot as blue blazes. Jeff, the park ranger, informed us that if we couldn't get out, the helicopter ride was $12,000. Off we went like good soldiers. Going down was a little scary but we made it.

We hung out at the cliff dwelling built by the Anasazi in the 1200's. Jeff told us how the women had to climb down the sheer cliffs using only hand holds chipped into the rock to get water or dump the human wastes. They carried the bucket on their heads with a kid on their back.

It was difficult to concentrate on what Jeff was saying because we know to get out we had to climb 4 10-foot ladders attached to the climb walls. Remember what I told you about high, open spaces? Obviously I made it but all I could think about as I pulled myself up was that it could be worse -- I could be carrying the "poop bucket" on my head!!!!!!! Betty and I had claimed the back seat and our "nest" never looked so good!! Nothing like going from a "desk jockey" to climbing 4 10-foot ladders attached to a cliff wall at 700 feet elevation in a 100 degree heat! Linda, the water bottle has been a godsend and quite the fashion statment

We made our escape and it was off to Durango which I loved -- - it's a "happenin'"place. We were on our own for the evening. Not sure what's more dangerous -- cliff dwellings or me loose in a town with galleries having open house! Tommorrow a train ride from Durango to Silverton on a narrow gorge rail. Can't wait!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment